WUFT News, Gainesville, Fla.
Reporter, January 2013—April 2013
• Crafted general news stories with text, audio and visuals for the NPR-affiliate’s public media properties, wuft.org and WUFT-FM.
The Gainesville Sun, Gainesville, Fla., Daily Circulation: 125,000
Freelance writer, August 2012—January 2013
• Pitched and wrote features, helped with the county government beat and contributed general news coverage.
Tampa Bay Times, St. Petersburg, Fla., Daily Circulation: 300,000
Reporting intern, May 2012—July 2012
• Wrote human interest features and news stories for the largest daily newspaper from Miami to Washington, D.C.
• Covered city government, education, crime and other breaking news.
The Independent Florida Alligator, Gainesville, Fla.
Staff writer, January 2012—February 2012
• Covered news in Gainesville and on campus for the daily newspaper that serves a student population of about 50,000.
The Fine Print, Gainesville, Fla.
Freelance writer, February 2011—December 2011
• Contributed feature stories, including a how-to on finding locally grown food and a profile about a Waldorf school founder and teacher, to the seasonal publication.
Mother Earth News, Topeka, Kan., Circulation: 500,000 (online audience of 3.7 million)
Editorial intern, June 2011—August 2011
• Fact-chcked and copy-edited articles for upcoming issues in the national magazine.
• Wrote blogs, updated social media sites, contributed editorial opinions and applied SEO to archive content.
The North Florida Herald, High Springs, Fla. Circulation: 4,000
Reporter, August 2010—April 2011
• Wrote news briefs and feature stories and shot photos for the former weekly newspaper.
• Covered the Alachua City Commission and the one-stoplight town of Fort White.
WUFT-TV, a PBS affiliate, Gainesville, Fla.
Writer, December 2010—March 2011
• Wrote a feature piece and interviewed source on-camera for the first episode of “Our Town,” a documentary about the small towns of Alachua and High Springs, Fla.
University of Florida, Gainesville, Fla. GPA: 3.88/4.0
B.S. Journalism, May 2013
• Outside concentrations in Spanish and sustainability
• Teaching assistant for reporting lab
• Studied abroad in Ecuador, Spain and Italy
• Language: Spanish (non-native professional proficiency)
• Multimedia: Nikon DSLR cameras, Final Cut, Audacity
• Programs: Photoshop, InDesign
• Social Media: Twitter, Facebook, WordPress, Instagram
AWARDS & ACTIVITIES
• Hiking guide for Quetzaltrekkers, a nonprofit in Nicaragua, July—October 2013
• Leader and guide with TRiP, the university outdoor adventure program, 2012—2013
• Player on the university women’s ultimate Frisbee travel team, 2009—2011
• The youngest of five undergraduate speakers at the university 21st Century News Laboratory grand opening
• Two-time Gov. R. H. Gore scholarship recipient
• Tampa Bay Times Fund scholarship recipient
• Wilderness First Responder certified (NOLS)
• Advanced Open Water Scuba Diver certified (PADI)
• Society of Professional Journalists
• Investigative Reporters and Editors
• Society of Environmental Journalists
• Dean’s Student Advisory Council, College of Journalism and Communications
• Mike Wilson, managing editor at the Tampa Bay Times
• Greg Hamilton, local news editor at The Gainesville Sun
• Mike Foley, former executive editor at the Tampa Bay Times and reporting professor
• Ron Dupont, editor of the Venice Gondolier Sun
• Robin Mather, editor at Mother Earth News magazine
• Norm Lewis, journalism editing and ethics professor